CA452001EN - March 2015
LED Driver Selection
Each range has a recommended driver listed against it though
some installations may require different characteristics, for
example, particular dimensional requirements or capable of
operating more than one luminaire.
The following tables list the range of drivers on offer, supported
with technical data and a column indicating the number of 1W
LEDs they are capable of driving.
This step by step guide will aid selection of the required driver(s).
1. From the information on the product page note the
• LED type and LED quantity within the luminaire.
• The recommended drive current or voltage
• Any dimensional constraints related to the installation,
e.g. the cut out aperture of the luminaire.
2. Find the appropriate section of the table for the type of
• Constant Current - Fixed output
• Constant Current - Dimmable
• High Ingress Protection
• Colour Changing
• Constant Voltage - Fixed output
• Constant Voltage - Dimmable
3. Look at the input current or voltage column to find those
drivers matching that required by the luminaire.
4. Cross check the number of LEDs the driver can operate is
sufficient for the product(s)
• Note some drivers have a minimum load requirement.
For example the LS-PD312 needs a minimum of three
1W LEDs to be connected to it for it to operate
5. Check the driver is dimensionally suited to the application.
6. This process may show several drivers are suitable for the
chosen luminaire. Refine the selection by checking the other
characteristics such as IP rating or power factor and also refer
to the latest price list to compare the cost.
Driver Selection Examples
Four fixed colour GR5-3K2-CW45C in-ground luminaires, with all
four to be driven by one fixed output driver.
Each luminaire contains three 1W LEDs and requires a 350mA
drive current. Assuming the driver is to be mounted indoors
remotely from the product with no dimensional or Ingress
This produces the following selection results:
LS-PD312 will run up to 12 x 1W LEDs at 350mA so will run the
four GR5-3K2 luminaires
LS-PBX27 will run up to 27 x 1W LEDs at 350mA (split over 3
channels) so will run up to nine GR5-3K2 luminaires
In this case the LS-PD312 may be the best choice as it is smaller
and lower cost than the LS-PBX27.
The same GR5-3K2-CW45C as example 1 but with one driver
per luminaire with the driver being installed beneath the fitting
assuming in an application where IP40 is suitable protection
results in the following option:
LS-MN03 will run up to 3 x 1W LEDs at 350mA so will run one
GR5-3K2 luminaire and with its small physical size will fit easily
through the cut out and sit within the ground sleeve beneath the
Eaton’s specialist LED team are able to provide support and
assistance with project design and specification. For further
details contact our LED Technical Support and Application Dept on
01302 303240 or to arrange a visit from your local Specialist Sales
Engineer, contact our Customer Care Centre on 01302 303303